Re: Strange system responsiveness issues with 5.1-CURRENT

From: Eric Hodel <drbrain_at_segment7.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:11:16 -0700
Ulrich Spoerlein (q_at_uni.de) wrote:

> On Wed, 24.09.2003 at 01:23:07 +0200, Julian St. wrote:
> > > I've been experiencing (especially) the lag in audio and/or video when
> > > seeking within media files. I kicked out all the debugging stuff, but
> > > it didn't make a difference.
> >
> > Same here with audio lagging. But I would say it lags only a second or
> > a half, but it is clearly noticeable, when seeking in mp3s or clicking
> > stop.
> >
> > Perhaps some buffering issue?
>
> I'm experiencing the same on my 5.1-RELEASE with all debugging turned
> off and the 'ln -s aj' thingy to malloc.
> Pausing XMMS will continue to play music for about 1-2 seconds. Running
> bzip/tar/gzip/md5 (extracting big ports) will make XMMS stutter (XMMS is
> playing via NFS, so it's not 'slow' hardware, it's somewhere else).
>
> Funny thing is, I recently had to 'portupgrade -raf', and I swear XMMS
> was very responsive afterwards. But right now (without recompiling
> anything else) it's back to normal.

I have had similar problems playing music for several months, if I moved
the mouse (ps2) on the console, static would be added to the audio,
some heavy disk activity could also trigger it, but that was very rare.

At any rate, I decided my system had too much cruft on it, and did a rm -rf
/usr/local, then re-built everything from scratch (the filesystem dated
from late in 3-CURRENT).  After the complete rebuild, the problem
disappeared.  It seems that I had a stale library or header somewhere
that contributed to this.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain_at_segment7.net - http://segment7.net
All messages signed with fingerprint: