Re: Status of SCHED_ULE?

From: Arjan van Leeuwen <avleeuwen_at_piwebs.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:45:36 +0200
On Sunday 28 September 2003 14:38, Matt wrote:
> Morten Rodal wrote:

> >>Are you running 5.1-release or 5.1-current?
> >>
> >>I ask because I have used ULE on two different kernels so far on this
> >>box. One was 5.1-release running gnome2, mozilla, xmms. On this the
> >>mouse stutters really badly whenever anything is being compiled.
> >>
> >>However on the 5.1-current kernel this behavior no longer happens and
> >>the mouse is fine.
> >>
> >>I suspect ULE has had a few enhancements between the release and now.
> >
> > I am running 5.1-current
> >
> > Dual machine:
> > FreeBSD slurp.rodal.no 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #3: Thu Sep 25
> > 04:03:23 CEST 2003     root_at_slurp.rodal.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/slurp
> > i386
> >
> > School computer:
> > FreeBSD hauk10.idi.ntnu.no 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #2: Fri Sep 26
> > 09:12:55 CEST 2003 root_at_hauk10.idi.ntnu.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/hauk10
> > i386
>
> Ahh I tell you the other difference. I had a USB mouse when I tried ULE
> with 5.1-release and it stuttered. It's just a ps2 one on the current
> kernel where it's not stuttering.
>
> Matt.

I have a PS/2 mouse, I run -CURRENT from 2 days ago, and I experience the
stuttering too.

It happens when compiling stuff, when loading complicated pages in Mozilla
Firebird, and when logging out of GNOME 2.4 (the 'background fade' animation
brings my Athlon XP 2000+ to its knees when I use SCHED_ULE).

Arjan