Re: TEST PLEASE: if_tun patch

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:29:08 +0200
In message <20030929050442.GA20995_at_Odin.AC.HMC.Edu>, Brooks Davis writes:

>> | Properly dismantle and remove the interface and destroy the dev_t=20
>> | at last close of the device.
>
>I'm not convinced this is the right direction to move in.  The problem
>is that users are beginning to expect that pseudo-interfaces be created
>with network interface cloning, but tun, tap, and vmnet aren't.

I'm totally "don't-care" on the semantics of any and all of these,
my patch is just an attempt to evict makedev() from the tree.  If you
have a better idea how to do this, by all means go for it.

It has also been pointed out that my subsequent if_tap.c patch would
likely break the way people expect the "vmnet" device to work so I
have already canned that.