Re: [acpi-jp 2704] Re: Odd ACPI behavior

From: Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:33:06 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:04:25 -0400 (EDT)
> > From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
> >
> > On 29-Sep-2003 Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > I recently noticed that, when I boot with ACPI on my IBM T30, I get
> > > errors trying to probe the BIOS disabled sio1. This does not happen
> > > under apm and happens twice(?) when booting with ACPI and happens even
> > > though I have the line 'hint.sio.1.disabled="1"' in /boot/device.hints.
> > > sio0: type 16550A
> > > sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> > > sio1: port may not be enabled
> > > acpi_cmbat0: <Control method Battery> on acpi0
> > > acpi_cmbat1: <Control method Battery> on acpi0
> > > acpi_acad0: <AC adapter> on acpi0
> > > sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> > > sio1: port may not be enabled
> >
> > Do you kldload a module at some point during your boot?  If so, that
> > would explain the double probe.
>
> Yes, it would, but I am not loading any kernel modules except the
> slightly automatic loads of ACPI, itself and a few others which should
> not cause a probe: ntfs, linux, linprocfs, and daemon_saver.

ACPI attaches the bus twice.  See sys/dev/acpica/acpi.c:

    /*
     * Scan all of the child devices we have created and let them probe/attach.
     */
    ACPI_DEBUG_PRINT((ACPI_DB_OBJECTS, "first bus_generic_attach\n"));
    bus_generic_attach(bus);

    /*
     * Some of these children may have attached others as part of their attach
     * process (eg. the root PCI bus driver), so rescan.
     */
    ACPI_DEBUG_PRINT((ACPI_DB_OBJECTS, "second bus_generic_attach\n"));
    bus_generic_attach(bus);

-Nate