Re: XFreeze86 4.3.0 under 5.2.1R

From: Christoph P. Kukulies <kuku_at_kukulies.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 19:33:39 +0200
On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:54:33AM -0600, Jon Noack wrote:
> On 3/24/2004 3:06 PM, C. Kukulies wrote:
> >I installed 5.2.1R on a PIII/500 Box with a GA-BX2000 MB and 256 MB.
> >GeForceMX400/64MB.
> >
> >I compiled /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver, installed and loaded it.
> >First time without WITH_FREEBSD_AGP later WITH_FREEBSD_BSD.
> >In the first case I was exactly once able to startup X11 (startx).
> >After rebooting (with or without agp:load="YES") I get a totally
> >freezing system. The screen flashes once or twice but stays in alpha mode
> >and then I can only press the reset switch.
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >
> >Strange that I once was able to run it. That was at the time
> >right after the java ports build while my system was
> >still up and had the linux procfs mounted. I'm just mentioning this because
> >the nvidia driver is somehow linux related, isn't it?
>
> Are you globally mapping libc_r to libkse in /etc/libmap.conf?  If so,
> remove this global mapping.  The NVIDIA driver doesn't like threading
> libraries that don't have TLS (which is planned to be ready for 5.3).
>
> More info (from NVIDIA no less):
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-threads/2003-June/000530.html

It turned out to be not an NVIDIA related problem. I swapped in a MG200
AGP card and the problem persists. As soon as I start X, be it as
xf86cfg, X alone or via startx I get this totally freezing.
The system is dead after this. I enabled comconsole (boot.config:-D)
and hints.sio.flags=0x20 and not a single sign of a kernel panic
appears on the serial console.

I had the strange effect that when looking once at the XF86Config
it contained binary garbage and later it was 0 blocks. That had
happened when I was doing a successful xf86cfg the last time. After that
I had these crashes or call it freezes.

Strange. The hardware isn't unstable I'd think. The only thing
that is new is a WD800 disk (UDMA 100).

How can I do a fresh installation of all the X11 stuff?
Is it in the base distribution of is it installed through packages?

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_physik.rwth-aachen.de