Re: FBSD 5.2.1-p4 and mysqld problems [RESOLVED]

From: Daryl Chance <chancedj_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 21:36:39 -0700 (PDT)
yes,  we resolved the issue it looks like.  I wanted
to hold off on announcing this until i was sure, but
it's been running for about 24 hours now without a
lockup.

options MAXDSIZ="(1024*1024*1024)" # change max from
512M to 1G
add that to your kernel config.

basically whats happening ( and i'm probably wrong
with the technicals on this, but bear with me :D ) is
that mysqld would aquire a lock (on a table more then
likely) and then try to allocate above the FBSD 5.2
max default memory size (512M).  when it did this, it
crashed and left the lock on the table.  from there it
just froze.

making that change seems to have fixed it.  it was
never evident before because we had a slower webserver
that wasn't loading the sql server all that much.  now
it is, and we started developing problems. :).

as you can tell with this link:
http://sql.tribalwar.com/before-ps.txt the mysqld proc
wen't above 512M.

check your sql.err log, if you're getting a malloc
error, then this is more then likely your problem.

Thanks to everyone for the help in tracking this down.

Let me know if this fixes the problem for you.  Also,
are you running -CURRENT in production? or testing?  I
had given some thought to upgrading the box to
-CURRENT after the commit for the network stack
settled.  But I first need to get serial console
enabled on it :).

Daryl