Re: Benchmarking

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 10:43:18 +0930
On Wednesday,  7 April 2004 at 18:09:21 -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> At 2004-04-07T19:52:39Z, Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_fer.hr> writes:
>
>> I've finished the article on benchmarking FreeBSD, NetBSD, DragonflyBSD
>> and Linux, it is available at:
>>
>> http://alfredo.cc.fer.hr/
>
> Prepare to be flamed (not by me, but in general).  The tests are littered
> with comments like:
>
>     Missing data in the above table signifies operations that were too fast
>     to measure correctly by the bonnie++ program.

I'd pick on a different statement in regard to this test:

  This is a disk and filesystem benchmark. It measures the raw disk
  throughput in several contexts (byte by byte I/O, block IO, input,
  output and rewrite performance; creating and deleting files).

Getting any meaningful results from bonnie++ is a matter of reading
entrails.  It's almost useless for comparing Linux and BSD, since it
uses features of each system which are unrelated to the disk drivers.
In fact, it's very difficult to measure the raw Linux throughput,
since there are no raw devices by default, though a kludge called
rawio is available.

Greg
--
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog_at_FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.