Re: ICH5R SATA RAID?

From: Martin Nilsson <martin_at_mullet.se>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:13:18 +0200
Doug Ambrisko wrote:

> Kenneth D. Merry writes:
> | On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 20:29:10 -0700, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> | > I have a SuperMicro system that does the Intel "ICH5-R" RAID.
> | > I should get inspired via the Linux code and see if I can add
> | > that.  So far I've haved setup the RAID but have turned on the ICH
> | > flag.
> |
> | Adaptec HostRAID is software RAID.  By software RAID, I mean that you only
> | get BIOS support from the card for booting, and after that all of the RAID
> | functionality is handled via the host OS.
> |
> | Some of their SCSI controllers include HostRAID support.  e.g.:
> |
> The ICH stuff is not SCSI.  There was no mention of Adaptec in the
> manual for this motherboard.

There are Supermicro boards with Intel/Marvell SATA controllers that
have Adaptec HostRAID bioses, drivers for linux (binary only) are
available in ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SATA/

There are no mention of these divers on Adaptecs site, from the included
readmes they seem to be called AAR

As we sell Supermicro, I have different boards to test with if needed.

	/Martin

--
Martin Nilsson, CTO & Founder, Mullet Scandinavia AB, Malmö, SWEDEN
E-mail: martin_at_mullet.se, Phone: +46-(0)708-606170, Web: www.mullet.se

Our business is well engineered servers optimised for FreeBSD & Linux