Re: ICH5R SATA RAID?

From: Kenneth D. Merry <ken_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:39:36 -0600
On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 07:15:09 -0700, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> Kenneth D. Merry writes:
> | On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 20:29:10 -0700, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> | > I have a SuperMicro system that does the Intel "ICH5-R" RAID.
> | > I should get inspired via the Linux code and see if I can add
> | > that.  So far I've haved setup the RAID but have turned on the ICH
> | > flag.
> |
> | Adaptec HostRAID is software RAID.  By software RAID, I mean that you only
> | get BIOS support from the card for booting, and after that all of the RAID
> | functionality is handled via the host OS.
> |
> | Some of their SCSI controllers include HostRAID support.  e.g.:
> |
> | http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=ASC-39320A-R&cat=%2fTechnology%2fUltra320%2fNew+Ultra320+SCSI!
>
> The ICH stuff is not SCSI.  There was no mention of Adaptec in the
> manual for this motherboard.  There were other SuperMicro boards that
> had SCSI controllers on them but this one and the one I have do not.
> They just have SATA ports that can do RAID.

True, it is SATA, not SCSI.  But the concept, and some of the software, is
the same.  It's pretty common in OEM deals for the actual vendor of the
software/hardware to remain unknown.  From what it looks like, the RAID
functionality is all in software, as opposed to running on a chip embedded
in the ICH5.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry