Re: panic on one cpu leaves others running...

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 12:22:42 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

> Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >
> > panic: m 0 so->so_rcv.sb_cc 17
> > at line 860 in file ../../../kern/uipc_socket.c
>
> What made you receive that panic?  I remember having that exact panic
> (sb_cc size being a little different, obviously) months ago... and
> having it disappear.  Did you have networking out from Giant where it
> shouldn't have yet been? ;)

This is running without Giant over most of the network stack.  However,
I'm still working on tracking down the source of the problem -- I'm
beginning to wonder if it's not an existing race opened up by releasing
locks in areas where only memory allocations required sleeping would have
opened the race previously.  I got this panic during local UNIX domain
socket IPC between the sshd bits.  I suspect what's going on, but need to
look in more detail, is that something is messed up relating to control
mbufs -- I.e., ancillary data transfer.  If you're interested in taking a
look at the current work-in-progress, take a look at the rwatson_netperf
branch in perforce, or at:

  http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/netperf/

I can also add you to the CC list for new patch versions if you like.
Pretty shortly, I'll be sending them to arch_at_ instead, but I need to
resolve a few problems in socket locking (including this one).

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research