Re: can't build world from 5.2.1-REL

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 15:53:49 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 12:32:19PM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > I've got a dual Xeon machine here that can't seem to build -current from
> > 5.2.1-RELEASE. It appears something is badly broken in the gcc build or
> > yacc or both.  The victim machine was just freshly installed with
> > 5.2.1-REL, and I've only built the kernel to enable SMP and remove the
> > drivers I don't use.
> >
> > The first time I tried to buildworld, it croaked on trying to link
> > gengtype complaining that a bunch of yy* symbols weren't defined.  I
> > toasted /usr/obj and built again and got "attempt to use poisoned
> > "strdup""  messages during a make depend step in cc_tools.
> >
> > The last time the "poisioned" messages appeared, which was last year, it
> > was due to broken sed. Looking at the diffs between the foo.c and
> > foo.c%DIKED files, the correct changes are being made.
> >
> > I'm working on generating buildworld typescripts once I get a fresh src
> > tree downloaded to the machine again.  Since my other -current builders,
> > which update near daily, are building OK, I'm guessing there is a
> > non-backwards-compatible change in there somewhere.
> >
> > I'll post the URLs once I get the logs uploaded.
> >
> This looks very familiar, though I don't remember the details,
> but you may try searching the mailing list archives.  Or for a
> brute force attack of the problem, please try upgrading to the
> -current version of yacc(1) before doing buildworld.

You're thinking of the sed breakage from last June.  It croaks with the
same errors, but the suggested test of diffing the %DIKED files comes back
with the expected changes (malloc -> xmalloc, etc.).  freebsd-native.h
matches the one on my other -current builders. I even tried reinstalling
sed to be safe -- no joy.

If the comment in freebsd-native.h is representative, its some screwup in
libiberty.  But those files haven't changed in eons.