VIA 8253 UDMA ICRC errors

From: Yura Socolov <fbsd-current.z.yurasocolov_at_xoxy.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 23:26:11 -0500
Following is a message i sent to -hardware last night. I have since tried
this on -current as of today and,  since i  get the same kind of behavior, i
thought i'd ask here as well.

The errors i'm getting are like this:

ad0: WARNING - WRITE_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=297945007
ad0: WARNING - WRITE_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=297945007
ad0: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=84<ICRC,ABORTED> LBA=297945007

Errors seem to snowball after a few minutes after boot, unless bg fsck kicks
in, in which case they are there right away.

This is on a Shuttle AK32VN motherboard (KT266, 8235) with a samsung 160G disk,
but as mentioned below other VIA-based motherboads manifest the dame problems.

I guess question at this point is whether this is something that's temporarily
broken, bad hardware (but it works with other motherboards), something that is
no longer supported or something else.

Or i'm doing something wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

--
-- Yura Socolov <nospam>                   FP: A7192ABD96E15F5 19AB21E60C34109
--                                               http://users.binary.net/yura/