Re: Future of FreeBSD

From: <llewelly_at_xmission.com>
Date: 10 Apr 2004 07:44:41 -0600
"Atte Peltomaki" <koston_at_iki.fi> writes:
[snip]
> It still leaves me wonder - why is the user/developer-base so hostile
> towards any critique on the system?

In my experience, the investment of great effort, whether to develop a
system, or to learn it in great detail, naturually results in an
emotional attachment. I will go so far as to say that it is
unrealistic to expect no defensive replies to criticism, however
well-intended.

A good engineer will do his best to put that emotional attachment in
its place, and try to see well-reasoned criticism as a way to improve
his work - but when the criticism contains 'obvious' errors, it may
not seem worth the effort to do so.

This is hardly unique to freebsd.

> I'm nonetheless a supporter of
> FreeBSD's, and as much as any of you, would like to see a glorious
> release of the 5-STABLE when time is right.

If you were to read criticism of freebsd which you percieved to
contain 'obvious' errors, would you react defensively? I am betting
you would.

> I simply wanted to state
> some of my concerns as a user about the time and it's rightness amongst
> some other things, and indeed only Robert took the time to actually
> answer to me. Thank you, Robert, for that.

I think the posts by Robert and phk are the redeeming value of this
thread. :-)