Re: Monumentally slow directory performance.

From: Brian F. Feldman <green_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:38:35 -0400
Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu_at_internetcds.com> wrote:

> Running a 5.2 supped as of 4/9.
>
> I have the UFS_DIRHASH stuff compiled into my kernel.  Is there some other
> frob to actually "turn" it on?
>
> I run softupdates, and moving files from my local box over gig ethernet to a directory
> with 5000 files in it is moving about 1 file every 6-7 seconds.
>
> If I move the same files to an empty directory, they move so fast I can' even
> read the names, which is more "normal".
>
> Even directories with 2500 or so files seem really, really, really, really slow.
> at least for adding/removing.
>
> My FS is UFS2, on a 3ware RAID controller.  I would love any ideas.  smbd
> is burning up 60-70% of the CPU, I've tried kernels with and without all
> the witness/diagnostic and all that stuff.

Burning up 60-70% of the CPU?  Just writing a file every 6-7 seconds to a
pretty small directory?

{"/home/green"}$ ls Mail/current | wc -l
   64109
{"/home/green"}$ date; touch Mail/current/rand$RANDOM;\
> date; touch Mail/current/rand$RANDOM; date
Sat Apr 10 11:37:55 EDT 2004
Sat Apr 10 11:37:55 EDT 2004
Sat Apr 10 11:37:55 EDT 2004

You should be getting "many" a second.  Samba must be doing something wrong/
stuck on something.

  <> green_at_FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \