Re: HEADS UP: PCI Changes

From: Stijn Hoop <stijn_at_win.tue.nl>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:47:31 +0200
On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 07:31:36PM -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> --On Saturday, April 10, 2004 14:27:52 -0700 Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
> wrote:
>
> s.  Thanks
> >
> > I can now confirm that this one breaks my laptop. It's an IBM T30 (1.8
> > GHz P4M). If I back out this set of commits (and a few since this one),
> > things work. With the commit, the ATA disk is not seen and I can't boot
> > up.
> >
> > I already posted the output of the boot in response to another current
> > post with the subject "Re: Recent -CURRENT doesn't find ata
> > controller". It actually odes, but it does not manage to talk to it (or
> > even seem to try to.)  The ports are the significant difference I see.
>
> I see a similar failure on my Fujitsu C6651 (interestingly, also a ICH3).

Although I haven't confirmed that this commit is the culprit, booting a
-CURRENT kernel halts with the same symptoms on my Dell D600, which has
an ICH4. No root device found (which is supposed to be on ad0s2a).
Unfortunately I do not have a serial cable here so no dmesg of the failed
boot :(

> What can I supply to help here?

Same question for me.

--Stijn

--
"Linux has many different distributions, meaning that you can probably find
one that is exactly what you want (I even found one that looked like a Unix