Re: Second "RFC" on pkg-data idea for ports

From: Martin <nakal_at_web.de>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 02:03:49 +0200
Am Wed, den 14.04.2004 schrieb Garance A Drosihn um 1:22:

> If it is easy for you to execute commands, then something
> like:
>
> /bin/make -f /usr/ports/shells/bash2/Makefile -V PORTVERSION

Try to imagine, I have to call this command a few hundred
times while unfolding a category node in my tree view. :)

> Would it be useful-enough if the pd-handling program
> could spit out a true XML-formatted document, once we knew
> what that was?  I realize this is rather lame, but it would
> allow us to keep this key program pretty small and simple.

I think, XML is good for writing out things. You can
simply use fprintfs to spit out the data. It is normal to
do that. It would be a good idea to have a good DTD
or a XML-schema to parse it later. Having this few things
in mind, you can just start with a XML-prologue, then
the DOCTYPE and then whatever you want (as long as it's
well-formed and valid XML).

> Well, at the moment I am *not* using XML...  :-)

Sorry for my English :)

Martin