Re: Question: Planned Performance improvements? GIANT free ciss, bge,...?

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 04:59:21 -0700
On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 09:13:46AM +0000, Holger Kipp wrote:
> I haven't found an overview about the current timeline
> regarding specific devices. As we are going to use a few
> systems with 5-CURRENT for customer production environment
> (webservers), can anyone comment on planned improvements
> for the next few days/weeks (if any), especially
>
> - GIANT removal for ciss and bge (the others as mentioned by
>   dmesg are npx, acpi, ohci and atkbd).
>
> - Other improvements regarding HTT and scheduling?
>
>   currently, we have 11.3 web pages per second with SCHED_4BSD
>                      11.5 web pages per second with SCHED_ULE
>   with 0% idle under SCHED_4BSD, 5-7% idle under SCHED_ULE.
>   (this is without witness or invariants, of course)
>   (under 4.9-STABLE numbers are slightly below 11)

Aspects of network locking are actively being addressed by Robert
Watson and collaborators.

If you're willing to test the patches, they're here:

  http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/netperf/

Some performance numbers from real-world applications would surely be
welcomed.  I've been running them on ~35 heavily loaded machines (only
a few SMP) with good results (i.e. no panics for a few days, I haven't
tried to measure performance)

Kris