Re: Second "RFC" on pkg-data idea for ports

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:41:36 -0400
At 6:18 PM -0700 4/14/04, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 14, 2004, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  >
>  > My hope is that if I get far enough along into the pkg-data
>  > project, the result would be that many of the common operations
>  > would be faster.  However, right now I can only say "that is one
>  > of my goals", and I can't prove it would actually happen...
>
>There's only a few things that execute external commands in the
>common code path of port makefiles.  I've been working hard to
>remove or limit them, and as I mentioned above it's possible to
>optimize the current framework a lot further without too much
>hard work.

Hmm.  Well, if the pkg-data ideas did not actually speed things
up (as I hope they will), then that would eliminate one of the
main reasons that I have been interested in investigating them.
I do still suspect pkg-data would be faster, but maybe it won't
be as much of a difference as I am hoping it will be.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org