GDB broken?

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:47:29 +0930
Hi,
I was helping someone test patches in -current and got a crash dump, but GDB
doesn't like reading it..

[inchoate 14:45] /var/crash >sudo gdb -k /boot/kernel/kernel /var/crash/vmcore.1
GNU gdb 5.2.1 (FreeBSD)
This GDB was configured as "i386-undermydesk-freebsd"...(no debugging symbols found)...
zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  sudo gdb -k /boot/kernel/kernel /var/crash/vmcore.1

OK.. let's try the debug version..
[inchoate 14:45] /usr/src/sys/i386/compile/INCHOATE >sudo gdb -k kernel.debug /var/crash/vmcore.1
GNU gdb 5.2.1 (FreeBSD)
This GDB was configured as "i386-undermydesk-freebsd"...
/var/crash/vmcore.1: Unknown error: 0.
(kgdb)

No dice either..

And the GDB back trace..
[inchoate 14:45] /var/crash >sudo gdb gdb gdb.core
GNU gdb 5.2.1 (FreeBSD)
This GDB was configured as "i386-undermydesk-freebsd"...(no debugging symbols found)...
Core was generated by `gdb'.
#0  0x08198b5d in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x08198b5d in ?? ()
#1  0x0816d13a in ?? ()
#2  0x080b19ba in ?? ()
#3  0x080b27fe in ?? ()
#4  0x080b2891 in ?? ()
#5  0x080f87ae in ?? ()
#6  0x080a6514 in ?? ()
#7  0x080a6668 in ?? ()
#8  0x080a6445 in ?? ()
#9  0x080f82ea in ?? ()
#10 0x0805888c in ?? ()
#11 0x080a90ed in ?? ()
#12 0x080a908e in ?? ()
#13 0x080a8f86 in ?? ()
#14 0x080a90c4 in ?? ()
#15 0x080a912e in ?? ()
#16 0x08078db3 in ?? ()
#17 0x080a908e in ?? ()
#18 0x080a8f86 in ?? ()
#19 0x080a90c4 in ?? ()
#20 0x08078f56 in ?? ()
#21 0x08048136 in ?? ()

I'd rebuild GDB with -g but I don't know how :(

Anyone got any ideas? :)

The kernel+world is April 2nd vintage.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5