FreeBSD-5.2.1 NIS slave/NFS server locks up..

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:11:43 -0500
I recently built two machines running FreeBSD 5.2.1 for the purposes of
running three services - DNS, NIS (slave server), and NFS (minor amount
of data, but a reasonable amount of connections).

Both machines would lock up (unpingable, nothing to be done except reset
switch) after a period of time - sometimes a few days, sometimes a few
hours.  I tried new hardware, and even rebuilt them both on new hard
drives on new machines, still with the same issue.  These two machines
did the previously mentioned services for only about 150 hosts.

I switched them to 4.9, and they've been rock solid.  I used GENERIC
kernel, and was running -RELEASE's on all incantations.

Seems like a bug somewhere, but I don't know where exactly, but if I can
help track it down, I'd be glad to do what I can.

Eric

Eric Anderson     Sr. Systems Administrator    Centaur Technology
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.