Re: RFC: ported NetBSD if_bridge

From: Mark Nipper <nipsy_at_tamu.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 02:45:43 -0500
On 17 Apr 2004, Julian Elischer wrote:
> people looking to make or port "neat" network features would do well to
> first learn about all the existing features, including netgraph
> which has so many hidden features that you can just about
> re-impliment several standard network features using it..

	Isn't this part of the problem?  Hidden features?  I'm
all for reading the manual and even going to source if necessary
to uncover some little known or even worse, undocumented feature,
but it doesn't make those features very accessible to the masses.
The OpenBSD bridge interfaces are all well documented and the
examples make sense out of just about every situation you would
want to use them in.  Not to mention the PF integration is
virtually flawless.

	I've heard of people doing pretty much anything and
everything via ng, including encapsulating swiss cheese in
ethernet frames just for the fun of it.  But I don't think anyone
is going to claim the ins and outs of ng are straightforward by
any means.

	Having a system which the other BSD's use seems to make
good sense.  And as long as it is something which is either
optional or simply doesn't get in the way, should it really
matter if you don't choose to use it?

--
Mark Nipper                                                e-contacts:
Computing and Information Services                      nipsy_at_tamu.edu

---begin random quote of the moment---
"Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies!  Rivers and seas
boiling!  Forty years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanoes, the
dead rising from the grave!  Human sacrifice, dogs and cats
living together...  Mass hysteria!"
 -- Dr. Peter Venkman (Bill Murray in "Ghostbusters", 1984)
----end random quote of the moment----