Re: A way to recover deleted files (just contents) from USF2

From: Andrey Smirnov <smir_at_delit.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:47:41 +0400
Steve Ames wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 05:16:12PM +0400, Andrey Smirnov wrote:
>
>>I've got ffsrecov to work in several hours of fixing it up to work with
>>UFS2. But actually it can do nothing with deleted files - their inodes
>>are all zeroes, excluding uid/gid, which is less important to me....
>>Seems like everything is lost... ;-((((
>

> Do you trust your patches enough to submit them to the ffsrecov developers
> or to the port-maintainer? Some good should come out of your misfortune :)

They were ugly hacks... Not patches ;-(
It seemed like working, but I can't be 100% sure, and I suppose I don't
have enough knowledge to make it really correct.
Some of them are fixes like 32bit->64bit and most of them are
substitutions, when structure names changed with UFS1->UFS2.
Also stat(/dev/ad0s1a) doesn't return valid size (it returns zero),
after that ffsrecov tries mmaping zero bytes, succeeds and crashes
afterwards. I changed behaviour to fallback on read(2).
That's all, but I suppose there are more deep problems.