Re: device uscanner in GENERIC?

From: Bernd Walter <ticso_at_cicely12.cicely.de>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:00:47 +0200
On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 03:54:00PM +0200, Mattias Schlenker wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>
> >I did not have to recompile my kernel for my USB scanner to work and I
> >am using uscanner.
> >5.1 5.2 both worked.
> >

> This may be... But many -- especially many cheap -- scanners nowadays
> work better with ugen/libusb or even just work with ugen/libusb. So
> removing "device uscanner" from GENERIC would mean that someone like you
> who *wants* to use uscanner has to load uscanner.ko, which is far less
> work than recompiling the kernel.

_Works better_ means you've forgot to send a bug report for uscanner.
Even just works shouldn't happen.

> In 4.x it worked perfectly for all sides. Removing "device uscanner"
> from GENERIC would result in a situation that is more close to the
> situation with 4.x than the situation today is.

The situation you desribed with 4.x is more likely an ugly hack.
Either uscanner takes the device/interface or not.
Taking the device and still handle it as untaken calls for troubles.

bernd_at_bwct.de                                  info_at_bwct.de