Re: / ibm thinkpad t41

From: Bill Paul <wpaul_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:09:45 -0700 (PDT)
> > You're making the unwarranted assumption that your copy of w70n51.sys
> > and w70n51.inf are exactly the same as everyone else's. Listen up people:
> > Intel has released several different versions of this driver. Some of
> > them have issues that others do not. If you don't bother to SEND ME
> > the driver that you have, I can't address your problem.

> Based on your experience can you suggest a version that is less
> likely to  have problems?
> Or we should test and use as many as possible different
> versions to help making project evil as evil as possible? :)

It's called the NDISulator, not the ONLYCERTAINSPECIFICDRIVERSulator.
The more oddball cases I fix now, the fewer problems I'll have later.

Recognizing different driver versions is not always easy. Sometimes,
you can tell by looking in the .inf file that comes with the driver
binary: some vendors put a driver version tag or comment in there
somewhere. That method is unreliable though, so the best method is
to look inside the driver binary itself. The driver version should
be encoded in the binary in unicode format. The simplest way to see
it is with strings(1):

% strings -e l w70n51.sys | more
VS_VERSION_INFO
StringFileInfo
040904B0
Comments
NDIS 5.1 Miniport Driver
CompanyName
Intel
 Corporation
FileDescription
Intel
 PRO/Wireless LAN Driver
FileVersion
1.2.1.11		<----- tada
InternalName
w70n51.SYS
LegalCopyright
Copyright
 Intel
 Corporation 2003
OriginalFilename
w70n51.SYS
ProductName
Intel
 PRO/Wireless LAN Adapter
ProductVersion
1.0.0.0
VarFileInfo
Translation

I got one the other day that was version 1.2.0.56, and I have at least
two others handy that are 1.2.1.3 and 1.2.1.1, respectively. I can't
tell you exactly what the differences are, but I've learned not to
assume that all will work.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Engineer, Master of Unix-Fu
                 wpaul_at_windriver.com | Wind River Systems
              <adamw> you're just BEGGING to face the moose