Re: mass storage RAID driver

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:00:05 +0200
Sean McNeil wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Got a GIGABYTE GA-7N400 Pro2 that I really like and I have everything
> very stable with -CURRENT running on it.  Never even had those issues
> with the SiI serial ATA chip.
>
> Several hardware components are not working, however, and I was
> wondering how/if I can help and where to start.  The one I'm most
> interested in at the moment is the parallel RAID IDE controller:
>
> none7_at_pci1:12:0:        class=0x010400 card=0x00011283 chip=0x82121283
> rev=0x10 hdr=0x00

Thats a ITE 8212 ATA controller. Some of them has a some intelligence
but not much. Adding support for using them as "Normal" ATA device is
probably easy todo, getting beyond that will most likely be "real work".

> I have a total of 8 things on here with no drivers attached.

Of which the above is one ?

> Please let me know where to start and who to work with (Soren?).

For ATA I might get you some patches to try for stock ATA support, for
anything beyond that the answers is "depends". If it fits the current
ATA framework (which is most likely) support can be added for the more
intelligent parts but it will require quite a bit of "ATA driver fu" to
get it done right...

--
-Søren