Thread related panic caused by userland process when compiling without -pthread

From: Stefan Walter <sw_at_gegenunendlich.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:57:13 +0200
Hi,

when playing with devel/boost last week, I accidently forgot to add the
-pthread parameter to the g++ call for a couple of small test programs.
The (reproducable) results were:

- [1] crashes with signal 11 on execution if devel/boost was built
  without WITH_DEBUG.
- [1] crashes on execution with the following output if devel/boost was
  built with WITH_DEBUG:
***
count = 1
Assertion failed: (res == 0), function do_wait, file /usr/obj-ports/usr/ports/devel/boost/work/boost_1_31_0/libs/thread/src/condition.cpp, line 371.
***
  The output of a backtrace is attached.
- The attached program 'boostthreads.cpp' causes a panic (with and
  without WITH_DEBUG for devel/boost).

The only option used/not used for building the Boost library is
WITH_DEBUG, everything else was left at the default values.

The results are 100% reproducable on two machines, both running -CURRENT
as of April 6th. The output of a gdb session after the panic, run via

gdb -k /sys/i386/compile/KYUZO/kernel.debug /usr/crashdumps/vmcore.0

is attached as well. (I definitely used the (matching) debug kernel, but
most symbols aren't in the backtrace - why is that?)

Note that the crashes/panics only happen when omitting the -pthread
parameter.

Stefan

[1]: http://www.boost.org/libs/thread/example/thread_group.cpp