Re: snd_maestro3

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:39:37 +0200 (CEST)
Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists_at_lists.zabbadoz.net> wrote:
 > 2) From time to time I get these:
 >
 > pcm0: <ESS Technology Allegro-1> port 0xf800-0xf8ff irq 10 at device 6.0 on pci0
 > pcm0: failed to enable memory mapping!
 > pcm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
 > pcm0: <ESS Technology ES1988 AC97 Codec>
 > pcm0:play:0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
 >
 > The only thing I can do then is to reboot my laptop.
 >
 > Both problems had been there with 5.1-HEAD and still where in 5.3-HEAD
 > from about 3-4 weeks ago.

FWIW, I have the same problem on my notebook (also Allegro-1),
but on 4-stable.  The problem exists for several years already
in 4-stable and hasn't been fixed yet.  I sent a PR long time
ago.

Every once in a while, right after booting the machine, when
I try to play audio for the first time, the kernel tells me
"play interrupt timeout, channel dead", and no sound is played.
Immediately rebooting again fixes it most of the time.

I even considered automating the process:  Playing a 1-second
audio file from /etc/rc.local, checking dmesg for the error
message, and initiating a reboot if necessary ...

Regards
   Oliver

"IRIX is about as stable as a one-legged drunk with hypothermia
in a four-hundred mile per hour wind, balancing on a banana
peel on a greased cookie sheet -- when someone throws him an
elephant with bad breath and a worse temper."
        -- Ralf Hildebrandt