Re: code cleanup

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:56:02 -0400
On Thursday 29 April 2004 02:55 pm, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
> John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > two greps is multiple ? first of FOREACH_PROC, second allproc or
> > > combine at one grep with two -e parameters.
> >
> > Multiple means more than one, yes.  When I'm searching the tree when
> > locking a structure or fields of a structure I don't usually come up with
> > complex grep statements, and actually, I wouldn't find the FOREACH_FOO
> > macro until I did the first grep anyway.  When you add lots of macros
> > that do this you get a compounding problem.
>
> For what it's worth, I don't think it is good to hide things as much as
> FOREACH_PROC_IN_SYSTEM() -- this specific instance -- does, but grep is not
> a good tool for a tree as large as FreeBSD's.  Try using cscope instead.

I've used glimpse in the past but it is buggy.  Actually, grep -r on ssc/sys
doesn't take that long, esp. if you do it multiple times as most of the tree
is still in cache for subsequent grep's (at least on my laptop).  I also tend
to have lots (around 7 or so) trees that have work going on in them at any
one time.