Re: Upgrading to net/openldap22-sasl-server giving fits

From: Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier_at_fillmore-labs.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:50:36 +0200
Kirk Strauser wrote:

> On Thursday 29 July 2004 13:21, Doug White wrote:
>
>> It would not suprise me if you need to dump + reload your database to
>> update to a new bdb schema in openldap2.2.
>
> <whine>But I don't WANT to reload my database!</whine>

Sorry, internal structures have changed. You *have to* use
slapcat/slapadd. That is why OpenLDAP 2.1 is still around, upgrading the
client part is pretty painless...

> Is there a generalized way to upgrade Berkeley databases?  I tried to
> RTFDocs, but they seem to be aimed at BDB programmers ("Simply call the
> DB->transmogrify method...") instead of command-line users.

You can update the underlying Berkeley database, but this doesn't mean
OpenLDAP can still work with it. You can even use slapd-bdb(5) instead
of slapd-ldbm(5) when you use OpenLDAP 2.2 + BerkelyDB 4.2, but they are
not binary compatible.

I'll add an entry to ports/UPGRADING, since this seems to be a FAQ.

-Oliver