Re: upgrade of file(1) to 4.10 (including FreeBSD elf(5) fixes)

From: Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier_at_fillmore-labs.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 15:20:27 +0200
Jon Noack wrote:

> [...]
> Note that 5.x is hardcoded as -CURRENT.  This is asking to be fixed in
> a few months when 5.x goes -STABLE and 6.x appears.  Better not to
> print branch names at all (for dev branches I just print the whole
> version value in parentheses).  There are other minor nits like 5.0.4
> and 4.15.30...

Yes, you are right. At the time I've submitted the patch the point where
FreeBSD would go -STABLE wasn't known, and the branch names are inspired
by the output of uname(1). Anyway, this is a virgin import, and we
shouldn't patch the sources. I'm sure the 4.11 upgrade will be trivial
when we've done the 4.10 upgrade, and usually Christos is pretty
responsive. We can do an follow-up patch to 4.10 that we can discuss
here before submitting it upstream.

-Oliver