Re: ATA driver races with interrupts

From: Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will+freebsd-current_at_will.iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 13:30:55 +0300
Søren Schmidt wrote:

> Reliable solutions needs reliable HW, we can narrow down the race
> window here, but without HW support we cannot close it completely
> unless we serialises access to the channels (what lots of OS's does
> btw)..

For now, I moved my SATA disks to the Promise controller, which seems to
work with an unpatched -current.

If serialization is the only reliable solution, shouldn't it be enabled
for all controllers with multiple channels on the same irq that use
ata_generic_intr?  It isn't going to hurt performance when only using
one channel, and when using multiple channels...currently it's pretty
much guaranteed to blow up.