Stability?

From: Evan Dower <evantd_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 09:31:58 -0700
% uptime
9:23AM  up 1 day, 15:42, 6 users, load averages: 0,98 1,19 1,25

With a recent cvsup (and all the rebuilding and installing involved) I have
noticed what seems to be an improvement in stability. I must have missed any
postings about it. Any, recent cvsup means about an hour before this:

% uname -a
FreeBSD lojak.washington.edu 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #0: Sun Aug  1
16:06:05 PDT 2004     root_at_lojak.washington.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DEBUG
i386

I noticed that my kernel has now started saying (in the dmesg):
WARNING: Kernel preemption is disabled, expect reduced performance.

Of course, I have WITNESS turned on in my debug kernel so I already expect
reduced performance. Is this message suggesting that I put FULL_PREEMPTION
in my kernel? I was under the impression that it was only useful for seeing
where stuff broke. Is stuff so good now that it will improve performance
without significant effect on stability? Or perhaps it is indicating that
PREEMPTION is #undef'd? I didn't #undef it so if this is the case it must
have been changed upstream.

In any case, I am very glad to have a more stable system again. Thanks very
much to all who contributed. I'm just curious as to what it was the fixed
the instability issues we had been having.

Thanks again,
--
Evan Dower
Undergraduate, Computer Science

Planning a family vacation? Check out the MSN Family Travel guide!
http://dollar.msn.com