Re: HEADS UP: tar -l is now (intentionally) broken.

From: Jason Andresen <jandrese_at_mitre.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 14:10:06 -0400
Michael Nottebrock wrote:

>On Tuesday 03 August 2004 09:28, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>

>>>In short, everyone wins on -o, everyone loses
>>>on -l.  That seems fair.  ;-)
>>>

>>    I believe "loses" is the keyword here.
>>

>You don't loose anything if set POSIXLY_CORRECT

I'm actually in favor of adding GNULY_CORRECT too, since you
occasionally run into self extracting shellscripts and the like that
assume GNU behavior (usually when installing Linux apps that come as a
giant bash sharchive).  I don't think I've ever run into this specific
problem, but there is a definate possability and getting those shell
scripts to work is hard enough without having some way to override the
correct (but incompatable) behaviour.

Just my $0.02