USB drivers

From: Chris <chris_at_tellme3times.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 10:41:50 -0400
The last time I programed was over 15 years ago and I was thinking of
looking into the USB drivers for FreeBSD concerning multifunction
devices. If I ask stupid questions forgive me because I am seeing this
as a user.

First I would like to know if there is a technical reason why two
different divers cannot attach to the same device. If each driver works
well independently, what is the reason to prevent the second one from
attaching? I would assume that if you attempted to use both drivers at
the same time you would get a device busy error.

Am I misunderstanding something here? I see ulpt: and unlpt: attaching
to the same device and the choice of which one to use is up to the user
and the hardware they have. If we have two drivers attach in one case
why, and where, do we prevent other drivers from attaching if they meet
the minimum requirements?

Any help on how to write drivers for FreeBSD would be appreciated.

Chris