Re: status of bind9 import

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:35:48 -0400
At 11:34 AM +0200 8/3/04, Dennis Berger wrote:
>Hi all,
>whats the status of the bind9 import?
>I recognized it's "in progress" since several month now, and
>as the release date is coming closer I'm getting nervous.
>thanks.

The "To-Do" list still has:

  Required features for 5.3-RELEASE
  |      Issue      |   Status    |  Responsible  |      Description       |
  |-----------------+-------------+---------------+------------------------|
  | BIND9 import    | In progress | Doug Barton   | BIND9 must be imported |
  | into 5-CURRENT  |             |               | for 5.3-RELEASE.       |
  |-----------------+-------------+---------------+------------------------|

Also, Doug talked about this at the devsummit that took place
during Usenix at the end of June.  He is waiting for a specific
official release to happen from the BIND9 folks, because it has
some important improvements to the BIND9 branch.  But he is
confident that once the official release is made, that he can
install it into the base system right away.  If that release
does not happen before our code-freeze, then he has an alternate
plan that he is confident in.  Note that the BIND9 folks do a lot
of their development on FreeBSD, so when the official release of
BIND9 happens, it is an official release which is already known
to be working on FreeBSD.  This item has been "in progress" only
because we are waiting for the new version, and not because Doug
has been having any problems with BIND9.

That was the word at the devsummit, and I doubt much has changed
since then.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org