Re: Postgresql locks up server - no response at all

From: Geoff Speicher <geoff_at_speicher.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:33:19 -0400
On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 04:19:20PM -0500, Jon Noack wrote:
> On 08/04/04 15:34, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> >
> >Many people over in freebsd-threads mentioned this problem, and recommended
> >all sorts-of different workarounds.  I tried every one available to me,
> >except mucking with PREEMPTION (as I did not feel comfortable tinkering
> >with a random .h file on the box; seemed to be a kernel-related thing,
> >so I'd rather have just an "options" line for it -- I'm conditionally
> >lazy).
>
> The one you didn't try most likely was the culprit.  Robert Watson
> showed that PREEMPTION and threading don't play well together right now:

FWIW, in mid-late July, my problems were not PREEMPTION-related.  I
tried everything I could to get usable threaded apps under XFree86, but
my Athlon XP rebooted every time I tried to run kdm, Firefox, etc.

This included all four combinations of PREEMPTION and ULE/4BSD.  Rolling
back to July 1 was the only thing that worked for me.

Geoff