Re: kernel build error

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:17:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Mark Murray wrote:

> Robert Watson writes:
> >
> > On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Robert Watson wrote:
> >
> > > The problem appears to be that 'mem_range_softc' is defined in
> > > mp_machdep.c, which means you can't build a non-SMP i386 kernel because
> > > the symbol is undefined.  We probably need to move the declaration to
> > > machdep.c or the like.
> >
> > I've committed this change and things now appear to build.  Might take a
> > couple of minutes to propagate to cvsup, etc.
>
> Thanks Robert. Colour me very confused. :-)
>
> I built 4 cases in testing; SMP/UP cross Module/NoModule. All worked.
>
> What did I miss?

I'm not sure what the UP above refers to, but the case I bumped into was
building a GENERIC kernel with "options SMP" and "device apic" removed
from the configuration file.  The kernel failed to link due to the missing
softc symbol from mp_machdep.c, which is only compiled into kernels with
"options SMP".  I've not yet caught up on e-mail, so I've not yet seen if
you've seen, but I sent a follow-up message in which I observe the same
problem in non-i386 trees, which will also need to be fixed.

For benchmarking purposes, I build UP kernels without "options SMP" or
"device apic" for performance reasons.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research