Re: [PLEASE TEST] Better support for Synaptics Touchpads

From: Philip Paeps <philip_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 21:41:11 +0200
On 2004-08-05 10:58:32 (-0700), David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org> wrote:
> Philip Paeps <philip_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> > If you happen to own a laptop with a synaptics touchpad, please help test:
> >
> >   <http://people.freebsd.org/~philip/psm.diff>
>
> OK; I'm running it now (and I have PSM_DEBUG set to 1 in the kernel).
>
> > Please report successes and failures :-)
>
> Nothing extra attached; no panics.

Something tells me the panic was phk saw was caused by the bit I if'ed out.
Now if someone with extra gadgets could confirm that...

> I confirm Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko's results -- single touchpad tap acts
> as left mouse button press/release event, but double-tap-and-drag doesn't
> seem to work so well.  Double- and triple-taps themselves seem OK, though.

The 'double-tap-and-drag' is not yet implemented.  I'm still working on that,
as well as on 'virtual scrolling' and 'tossing' the pointer.

> [My test was trying to quit from ical:  I can click on the "File" button,
> but as soon as the mouse leaves the area of that button, the drop-down menu
> that showed up, and that includes the "Exit" selection, disappears.]

Do you notice any improvement when you run moused with '-a 0.75' or similar?
I'm trying to decide how much to slow the acceleration down by default.  I'm
seeing good results with 0.75 but I was having good results with the current
default too.  Maybe I'm just handy? *grin*

> It is definitely a large step in a positive direction -- thanks!  :-)

Good to know :-)

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                                    Please don't Cc me, I am
philip_at_freebsd.org                               subscribed to the list.

  Anything you try to fix will take longer and cost more than
  you thought.