Re: SiI3112a possible workaround?

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 23:17:32 +0200
Jason Andresen wrote:
> I was searching the net today and I came across this little gem in a
> Linux mailing list:
>
> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0307.3/1349.html
>
> Notably:
>
> 1) As some others suggested on the list, the problem with very slow
> transfer and timeouts if you try to enable DMA, can be fixed by the
> following lines in an appropriate rc file:
>
>  hdparm -X66 -d1 /dev/hda
>  echo "max_kb_per_request:15" > /proc/ide/hdX/settings
>  (repeat for both drives, e.g. hde and hdg).
>
> As I have one of these unfortunate controllers, I was wondering if it is
> possible to do something like this in FreeBSD?  sysctl doesn't seem to
> have anything and I'm not sure what to look for in the sources.  Does
> FreeBSD have any sort of analog to the above hdparm command?

The ATA driver already limits transfers to 8K on the older stepping of
that bugridden silicon. Could you please mail me the complete output of
a dmesg and the output of pciconf -l ? I've newer been able to reproduce
this problem so I'd like to know what exact HW causes this so we can try
a workaround if possible...

BTW you should definitly try to update your install to the latest
-current as I've just committed some race fixes that might help you on
that chip as well...

-Søren