Re: geom stripe/concat metadata suggestion

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 17:34:49 +0200
On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:38:21PM +1000, Sam Lawrance wrote:
+> Would it be a good idea to store the device name, or something similar,
+> in the metadata?
+>
+> For example, if I have a disk divided like this:
+>
+>  |--------------ad0--------------|
+>  |-------------ad0s1-------------|
+>  |----ad0s1g-----|-----ad0s1d----|
+>
+> The metadata is written into the last sector, so when the stripe/concat
+> classes are tasting they can't work out whether it belongs to ad0s1d,
+> ad0s1 or ad0.
+>
+> I've had problems creating stripes and concats with this configuration.

Ok, I decided to do it as an option, i.e. you'll be able to decide if
you want to hardcode provider's name in metadata.
Actually it is done already (in perforce), but I've to test it.

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd_at_FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl