Re: usb palm

From: Bruce A. Mah <bmah_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 13:28:48 -0700
On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 13:10, Randy Bush wrote:
> >> i386 -curent as of yesterday
> >> jpilot configured for /dev/uvisor
> >>
> >> Aug  5 19:29:30 foux kernel: ucom0: Palm, Inc. Palm Handheld, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
> >> Aug  5 19:29:30 foux kernel: ucom0: Palm, Inc. Palm Handheld, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
> >> Aug  5 19:29:36 foux kernel: ucom0: init failed, TIMEOUT
> >> Aug  5 19:29:36 foux kernel: device_attach: ucom0 attach returned 6
> >> Aug  5 19:29:36 foux kernel: uhub1: port 2, set config at addr 2 failed
> >> Aug  5 19:29:36 foux kernel: uhub1: device problem, disabling port 2
> >
> > Is this a new CURRENT or a new PalmOS device (i.e. what changed)?
>
> went from null set to this.  i.e. everything changed.

OK.  I'll try to give you a few things I learned while trying to get my
Clie to sync (this *does* work, after a fashion):

If you're coming from a sync-over-serial situation (or if you haven't
tried this at all) it might be natural to treat /dev/uvisor like a
serial port over which you can do a sync.  For some set of PalmOS
devices (which includes my Sony TJ37) this doesn't work.  I had to do a
whole bunch of Googling to figure out that *if* you're in this
situation, you need to make the PalmOS device speak PPP over USB to your
FreeBSD box.  Then you configure jpilot to sync with "net:any" and the
sync happens over a TCP connection over the PPP link.  Grenville
Armitage has a nice writeup of this here:

http://gja.space4me.com/things/Palm_TungstenC_FreeBSD.html

Compounding this problem for me was that the uvisor driver somehow
couldn't find the right attachment point (port?) on the TJ37.  This is
the part that green_at_ and I did a couple of iterations on.  (He was
trying to get a Handspring Treo to work.)  This was in a thread on
current_at_ that started on 1 July 2004 with this email:

The end result was a patch to uvisor that lets me sync.  It's not
committed to the tree yet.  Not sure what green_at_'s plans are for this.
I'm happy to keep it as a local mod.

> > What kind of PalmOS device is it?
>
> palm tungsten-t

Grenville had a Tungsten-C so this might be applicable to you.

Bruce.