Re: INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE doesn't work anymore

From: Bryan Liesner <bryan_at_kishka.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 14:49:43 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
>
>> Including "options INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE", while it doesn't break the
>> kernel build, no longer actually seems to include the config file in the
>> kernel.  Using the magic "strings -n 3 ..." incantation returns only a
>> couple of lines of gibberish now.
>
> It could be that gcc 3.4 is cleverly optimization out the unused symbols?

The below works for me.  I've been using it for quite some time now,
definitely before gcc 3.4.  Something changed a while back and I just
adapted.

#!/bin/sh

# the perl re now includes a "not underscore" for the fourth character
# since a couple of bogus strings match the old three underscore pattern.
# You have to put the character back with a back reference, or lose the
# first character of the kernel config string.

strings -n3 /boot/kernel/kernel | perl -ne 'print if s/^___([^_])/$1/'

-Bryan