Re: Simple BDE disc encryption benchmark

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 11:55:47 +0200
In message <411746EB.5030006_at_portaone.com>, Maxim Sobolev writes:

>> The only time the CPU was completely busy was when copying /bigfiles from
>> encrypted to encrypted.
>>
>> My question is: Why does the it take so much longer when encryption is
>> involved even though 'top' seems to think there are CPU cycles left to burn?
>
>The problem (well, not quite "the problem" since it is design decision)
>is that GBDE tries to rearrange sectors in pseudo-random fashion to make
>cryptoanalysis harder. Usually filesystem tries to place all sectors
>that belong to the same file consequently, to avoid expensive disk
>seeks. But on encrypted disk logically ajaced sectors are physically
>spread, so that reading them introduces seek delays.

Uhm, this is not quite correct.

It is true that I played around with pseudo-random sector mapping a
fair bit, but since it _totally_ killed performance I dropped it
again.

The mapping GBDE performs is sequential with inserted key sectors,
this was the most performance friendly layout I could come up with.

Poul-Henning