Re: Is anything being done re: the pcm timeout issue?

From: Rusty Nejdl <rnejdl_at_ringofsaturn.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 13:46:12 -0500 (CDT)
Conrad J. Sabatier said:

>> Sound works fine for me on my Dell laptop (mss driver).  I do get a
>> mutex-related panic on my desktop (sb16 driver), but haven't sent in the
>> stack trace to anyone yet.
>
> My problems are occurring on an amd64 box (Athlon 64) with the nVidia
> nForce3 chipset (snd_ich driver).
>
> Sounds works fine for a while, then suddenly I get a pcm play timeout,
> and game over.  Have to reboot to get sound to work again.
>
> Others have reported similar problems, but I've seen no followups
> indicating anything is being done about it.

I've been seeing a sound issue on 5.2.1-release and I wonder if it's related at all to what you are seeing.  I have :

hw.snd.maxautovchans: 4
hw.snd.pcm0.vchans: 4

And I have seen that these will eventually stop working one by one until I have none left.  lsof and fstat don't show any programs using them, but nonetheless, programms like xmms and gaim can't use them anymore.

Do you have any more details on the pcm play timeout?  Are you using vchans?  What program are you using?

Rusty Nejdl