RE: Compiler segmentation fault in 5-08 -CURRENT

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:08:34 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Terrence Koeman wrote:

> > Can you compile a simple "hello world" program?  Sometimes
> > these types of
> > faults can be caused by faulty memory, processor, overclocking, or
> > temperature issues.
>
> It doesn't seem hardware related. Before the update I had no problems with
> segmentation faults, and the system can take heavy load just fine.
>
> I tried to compile the following hello world program:
[...]
> helloworld.c:4: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault

Ugh. Looks like your gcc binary's busted.

> Is there perhaps a way to copy over the compiler from a working (older)
> -CURRENT system and build a new world with it to see if it's fixed in cvs?

You might try tracking down a recent snapshot and do an 'upgrade'; that
should overwrite your defective binary.

This problem is unique to you so you may have had a disk error or
something that's zeroed out part of the gcc binary or cc1 or something
important like that.