Re: make -DRESTART buildworld

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:48:00 +0300
On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 03:50:18PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Could someone who knows the buildworld target give a comment as to
> whether it would
> be possible to do a  -DRESTART option?
>
> I have done -DNOCLEAN but it still does quite a bit..
> it would be nice to have an option that did
> -DNOCLEAN and -DNO_TOOLS -DNO_MKDEP and -DNO_CHROOTLIBS
> (if they existed, and went straight to doing the build where it left off
> (and where you
> probably fixed the problem..
>
> it's really annoying to have to restart the buildworld after if falls
> over 95% through and have it start
> at the beginning again..

``make -f Makefile.inc1 -V WMAKE_TGTS'' will give you an ordered list
of buildworld subtargets, so you can control where exactly you want to
restart (no checking is done!).  You can call of these targets, even
underscored ones, from the main src/Makefile (with plain "make <tgt>").
I often use ``make everything'', the last stage of buildworld, to
restart a failed but almost complete buildworld.  This is probably
exactly what you're looking for at the moment.  You can even limit
the scope of the rebuild as follows (to check if you've really fixed
your problem, and assuming all previous buildworld substages completed
successfully):

make everything SUBDIR_OVERRIDE="bin/test usr.bin/vacation"

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru_at_FreeBSD.org