Re: UMA questions

From: Max Laier <max_at_love2party.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:43:08 +0200
On Wednesday 11 August 2004 17:29, Bosko Milekic wrote:
> >2. What does the flag UMA_ZONE_ZINIT do exactly?
>
>    It initializes zone-allocated objects to zero.  This happens as objects
>    are first allocated (i.e., slabs are allocated) and before placement
>    into the slab cache.  Unfortunately, I am not sure this works very well
>    unless you also make sure to zero them as they are returned (dtor),
>    which is a shitty model.

I guess the motivation behind UMA_ZONE_ZINIT is to prevent an information leak
from other parts of the system. i.e. I want memory that I can pass to users
or the net w/o having to fear that it holds my password or something.

Once the slab is in the cache, i.e. it belongs to me, I don't care anymore.

--
/"\  Best regards,			| mlaier_at_freebsd.org
\ /  Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661