Re: ipfw

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:54:23 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Randy Bush wrote:

> ipfw seems to be starting in some strange state where it has loaded my
> ruleset but does not really process it.  everything ends up in
> unreachable.  if i run `ipfw -q /etc/ipfw.rules`, the same command set
> that's in /etc/rc.conf, it takes off as expected.

The recent addition of O_ANTISPOOF renumbered the IPFW rule operations, so
if you're using a newer kernel and an older user space, /sbin/ipfw will
think the rules mean one thing, but the kernel will think they mean
another.  The miscreant has been convinced that this is a bad idea (always
append!) but since the damage was done we decided not to thrash the
operator numbers again.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research