panic fails to reset properly

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:38:11 -0400 (EDT)
I've been working with Martin to try to debug a crash he's experiencing,
and observed he's having a problem I've also observed.  "reset" from ddb
will generally reset without a hitch.  "panic" will usually hang after
dumping; what's interesting is that on a system without dump support,
"panic" will still hang.  Has anyone looked into this?  The failure of the
automatic reboot at that point is making it a bit more difficult to debug
problems effectively, as well as reducing the ability of the system to
recover following a panic.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research