Firewire disabled in kernel by default?

From: Tony Montana <tonymontanadea_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:13:07 -0700 (PDT)
I cant install 5.x on my laptop. I boot from cd and
get thru the options with no problems, but when i have
to select my media it says NO CD/DVD DRIVES PRESENT. I
have 4.10 installed with no problems now but would
love to clean install to 5.2.1 or 5.3 once its out to
take advantage of the apm and acpi.
My laptop connects to a media base thru firewire which
is where the cd/dvd drive is, so im wondering if its
a driver thing since its fine in 4.x.